The old house at the heart of the Swallows Campus dates to the 17th century. In 1720 it was rebuilt as a gentleman’s residence and became known as Styvechale Villa. In 1920 Styvechale Villa was purchase by Reverend Kenelm Swallow M.C. on his return from the First World War. Rev. Swallow wished to create ‘a place to inspire pupils, a place they would love when they were there and after they had left, and a place they would look upon as their second home.’ This he succeeded in doing by founding Coventry Prep School. The School’s motto was Confide Recte Agens — ‘Have the confidence to do what is right’. In 1992 the school became part of the Coventry School Foundation. In September 2008 the Foundation combined Coventry Preparatory School with King Henry VIII Junior School to create King Henry VIII Preparatory School.
Swallows campus now caters for children in Nursery (from the age of 3) up to the end of Year 2.
King Henry VIII School was founded in 1545, at the direct request of the King, by the scholar and writer John Hales. The School was originally located in the city centre but towards the end of 19th century it moved to its present site on Warwick Road. The purpose built Hales campus where children in Years 3 to 6 learn happily each day in a mixed of general classrooms and specialist facilities was built in 1996.